- Search Engines, Social Media, and the Editorial Analogy (contribution to the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University’s Emerging Threats series (2018)) (here and on ssrn) (with responses from Eric Goldman, Frank Pasquale, and Genevieve Lakier)
- Markets, Rights, and Discrimination by Customers, 102 Iowa L. Rev. Online 346 (2017) (ssrn) (invited response to Katharine Bartlett & Mitu Gulati, Discrimination by Customers, 102 Iowa L. Rev. 223 (2016))
- The Regulation of Discrimination by Individuals in the Market, 2017 U. Chi. Legal F. 537 (2017) (ssrn) (invited contributor to the Forum’s Law and the Disruptive Workplace Symposium)
- Friedrichs: An Unexpected Tool for Labor, 10 N.Y.U. J. L. & Liberty 191 (2016) (invited contribution) (2016) (ssrn)
- Rethinking the Ban on Company – Labor Organization Cooperation, 37 Cardozo L. Rev. 1455 (2016) (ssrn)
Not Published Articles
- The Autonomy Defense of Private Discrimination (ssrn)
- Highly Recommended by Larry Solum on his Legal Theory Blog (here)
- Search Engines, Free Speech Coverage, and the Limits of Analogical Reasoning in Free Speech in the Digital Age (Susan J. Brison & Kath Gelber, eds.) (forthcoming in Free Speech in the Digital Age) (under contract with OUP) (co-authored with Robert Simpson) (ssrn)
- Hermeneutic Injustice and White Ignorance: A Puzzle
Upcoming Presentations, Talks, etc.
- UC Berkeley Workshop in Law, Philosophy, and Political Theory (Fall 2018)
- Applied Epistemology Research Retreat and Workshop, Prindle Institute for Ethics (Summer 2018)
Selected Conference Presentations and Invited Talks
Hermeneutic Injustice and White Ignorance: A Puzzle
- Applied Epistemology Research Retreat and Workshop, Prindle Institute for Ethics (Summer 2018) (accepted submission and participant)
Invited Workshop Participant
- Aesthetics Reborn (Summer 2018) (NYU, La Pietra)
Antidiscrimination Law in the On-Demand Economy
- University of Chicago Law School (Jan. 2017) (invited talk)
Antidiscrimination Law and a Right to Discriminate in the Market: A Puzzle
- The University of Chicago Law School Legal Forum Conference on the Disruptive Workplace (Nov. 2016)
The Autonomy Defense of Private Discrimination,
- SWIP-Analytic, New York Society for Women in Philosophy, New York City (invited Spring 2017)
- Emerging Voices in Workplace Law. Employment Discrimination and Labor Relations and Employment Law Joint Program at 2017 AALS, San Francisco (invited) (Jan. 2017)
- Regulation of Family, Sex, and Gender Workshop, University of Chicago Law School (Oct. 2016)
- Analytical Feminism: Past, Present, & Future. University of Massachusetts Lowell (Sept. 2016).
- MANCEPT Workshop in Political Theory. Manchester, UK (Sept. 2016).
Search Engines and Free Speech Coverage
- Yale Law School Freedom of Expression Scholars Conference (May 2016).
Rethinking the Ban on Company – Labor Organization Cooperation
- Seton Hall Employment & Labor Law Scholars’ Forum (October 2015).
- Colloquium on Scholarship in Employment and Labor Law (Sept. 2015).
- Young Scholars’ Workshop in Labor Relations, Modena, Italy (March 2015).
- Internet Law Work-in-Progress Conference, Santa Clara University School of Law (March 2015).
- Chicago Junior Faculty Workshop (Feb. 2015).
- Digital Labor Conference, NYC (Nov. 2014).
- Commentator, James Weinstein, The Regulation of Lies in Speech and Elections, Free Speech and Its Discontents Workshop, Princeton. (Dec 2017).
- Commentator, Julia D. Mahoney, The Safety Net and American Exceptionalism (2016) Regulation of Family, Sex, and Gender Workshop, University of Chicago Law School (2016).
- Commentator, Alexander Prescott-Couch, Hermeneutic Justice as Equal Hermeneutic Concern and Group Attitudes Without Group Agents. Law and Philosophy Workshop, University of Chicago Law School (2016).
- Commentator, Tommie Shelby, Chapters 3 and 4 from Dark Ghettos: Injustice, Dissent, and Reform. Law and Philosophy Workshop, University of Chicago Law School (2015).
- Panel Moderator, Low Wage Work: Getting By & Fighting Back, Digital Labor Conference, NYC (Panel: Frank Pasquale, Miriam Cherry, Winifred Poster) (2014).
Shorter Pieces (Op-eds, etc.)
- Google and Facebook don’t qualify for First Amendment protection – The Guardian (March 9, 2018)
- Does the Packingham Ruling Presage Greater Government Control Over Search Results? Or Less? – Technology & Marketing Law Blog (June 22, 2017)
- PrawfsBlawg, Guest Blogger (July 2015)
- Silicon Valley, Meet Labor Law
- A Failure in the Market for Altruism
- Abercrombie Settles: Interesting Consumer Discrimination Issue Avoided
- Big Week for the Gig Economy
- When Corporations are Good People: Part Two
- When Corporations are Good People
- When does labor law violate the Takings Clause?
- Marriage and Other Favored Unions
- McDonald’s and Fast Food Forward – OnLabor (Jan. 5, 2015)
- The Takings Clause and Sweeney v. Pence – OnLabor (Sept. 4, 2014)
- Case Comment (July 2012) – Williams v. Illinois, 132 S.Ct. 2221 (2012)
- Case Comment (Feb. 2012) – United States v. Jones, 132 S.Ct. 945 (2012)
- Case Note (Sept. 2011) – Wiley & Sons v. Kirtsaeng, 654 F.3d 210 (2d Cir. 2011)
- Book Review (Nov. 2011) – Yochai Benkler, The Penguin and the Leviathan
- other shorter pieces on some combination of science fiction, ethics, and law can be found here.