Not-Yet-Published Articles, Reviews, etc.
- The Autonomy Defense of Private Discrimination (ssrn)
- Highly Recommended by Larry Solum on his Legal Theory Blog (here)
- Antidiscrimination Law & Freedom of Association: Understanding the Problem, __ U. Chi. Legal F. __ (forthcoming 2017) (invited contribution).
- Search Engines, Free Speech Coverage, and the Limits of Analogical Reasoning in Free Speech in the Digital Age (Susan J. Brison & Kath Gelber, eds.) (forthcoming in Free Speech in the Digital Age) (under contract with OUP) (co-authored with Robert Simpson) (ssrn)
- Markets, Rights, and Discrimination by Customers, 102 Iowa L. Rev. Online 346 (2017) (ssrn) (invited response to Katharine Bartlett & Mitu Gulati, Discrimination by Customers, 102 Iowa L. Rev. 223 (2016))
- Friedrichs: An Unexpected Tool for Labor, 10 N.Y.U. J. L. & Liberty 191 (2016) (invited contribution) (2016) (ssrn)
- Rethinking the Ban on Company – Labor Organization Cooperation, 37 Cardozo L. Rev. 1455 (2016) (ssrn)
Selected Conference Presentations and Invited Talks
Antidiscrimination Law in the On-Demand Economy (invited talk)
- University of Chicago Law School (Jan. 2017)
Antidiscrimination Law and a Right to Discriminate in the Market: A Puzzle
- The University of Chicago Law School Legal Forum Conference on the Disruptive Workplace (Nov. 2016)
The Autonomy Defense of Private Discrimination,
- SWIP-Analytic, New York Society for Women in Philosophy, New York City (invited Spring 2017)
- Emerging Voices in Workplace Law. Employment Discrimination and Labor Relations and Employment Law Joint Program at 2017 AALS, San Francisco (invited) (Jan. 2017)
- Regulation of Family, Sex, and Gender Workshop, University of Chicago Law School (Oct. 2016)
- Analytical Feminism: Past, Present, & Future. University of Massachusetts Lowell (Sept. 2016).
- MANCEPT Workshop in Political Theory. Manchester, UK (Sept. 2016).
Search Engines and Free Speech Coverage
- Yale Law School Freedom of Expression Scholars Conference (May 2016).
Rethinking the Ban on Company – Labor Organization Cooperation
- Seton Hall Employment & Labor Law Scholars’ Forum (October 2015).
- Colloquium on Scholarship in Employment and Labor Law (Sept. 2015).
- Young Scholars’ Workshop in Labor Relations, Modena, Italy (March 2015).
- Internet Law Work-in-Progress Conference, Santa Clara University School of Law (March 2015).
- Chicago Junior Faculty Workshop (Feb. 2015).
- Digital Labor Conference, NYC (Nov. 2014).
- Does the Packingham Ruling Presage Greater Government Control Over Search Results? Or Less? – Technology & Marketing Law Blog (June 22, 2017)
- PrawfsBlawg, Guest Blogger (July 2015)
- Silicon Valley, Meet Labor Law
- A Failure in the Market for Altruism
- Abercrombie Settles: Interesting Consumer Discrimination Issue Avoided
- Big Week for the Gig Economy
- When Corporations are Good People: Part Two
- When Corporations are Good People
- When does labor law violate the Takings Clause?
- Marriage and Other Favored Unions
- McDonald’s and Fast Food Forward – OnLabor (Jan. 5, 2015)
- The Takings Clause and Sweeney v. Pence – OnLabor (Sept. 4, 2014)
- Case Comment (July 2012) – Williams v. Illinois, 132 S.Ct. 2221 (2012)
- Case Comment (Feb. 2012) – United States v. Jones, 132 S.Ct. 945 (2012)
- Case Note (Sept. 2011) – Wiley & Sons v. Kirtsaeng, 654 F.3d 210 (2d Cir. 2011)
- Book Review (Nov. 2011) – Yochai Benkler, The Penguin and the Leviathan
- other shorter pieces on some combination of science fiction, ethics, and law can be found here.
- Commentator, Julia D. Mahoney, The Safety Net and American Exceptionalism (2016) Regulation of Family, Sex, and Gender Workshop, University of Chicago Law School (2016).
- Commentator, Alexander Prescott-Couch, Hermeneutic Justice as Equal Hermeneutic Concern and Group Attitudes Without Group Agents. Law and Philosophy Workshop, University of Chicago Law School (2016).
- Commentator, Tommie Shelby, Chapters 3 and 4 from Dark Ghettos: Injustice, Dissent, and Reform. Law and Philosophy Workshop, University of Chicago Law School (2015).
- Panel Moderator, Low Wage Work: Getting By & Fighting Back, Digital Labor Conference, NYC (Panel: Frank Pasquale, Miriam Cherry, Winifred Poster) (2014).
- In These Times
- Article about my Friedrichs piece (2015)
- Berkman Center for Internet & Society
- Interview concerning some of my research interests (2015)
- The Guardian
- McDonald’s plans to launch a charity partnership to draw millennials, The Guardian (2015) (about my OnLabor post on the topic)